You’re enthralled with the Lean Startup, and you want to get started with your enterprise IT activities today – how do you kick off?
In Information Technology, we are fascinated by our own products and services, that which we more broadly consider a value proposition. But where do we go from here?
Getting started with the lean startup for Enterprise IT
- expand on your value proposition to build your complete business model canvas (spend no more than 30 minutes)
- identify where you have facts or guesses in the canvas; facts are supported by evidence, guesses (aka hypotheses) require validation
- develop tests for your lean startup hypotheses
- run these tests with customers
- rapidly iterate and improve, reduce waste
Five unique directions you can now consider:
- identify the next steps for your maturity (pragmatic locally, scaled expansion, etc. )
- demonstrate the evolution of your hypotheses – if you’re not failing, you’re not trying. Fail faster.
- focus on your business model deltas – this is where real value comes from, and basically nowhere else.
- improve the time you spend with your customers – there is so much room for improvement here.
- marry your customer development with agile development.
The lean startup = rapid, pragmatic iterations
- we call the process of rapidly understanding business model improvements “customer development”, and we call how we address technical complexity “agile development” — these must work in concert.
- the ability to align your technical effort with business strategy is fundamental to your Enterprise success.
- highly capable Enterprise IT is mandatory for the future of your enterprise.
- the capability to bridge the lean startup with your existing practice is not trivial, but it is necessary.
- We can help.